08 August 2026

Love Has Many Languages — And Sometimes We Are Speaking the Wrong One

We all want to be loved. That much is simple.

What is not simple is understanding what love looks like to another person.

One person may say, “I love you” every day. Another may never say those words but will quietly make sure you have eaten, reached home safely, or have your favourite tea waiting for you. Someone may want to hold your hand, while someone else believes that giving you space is the greatest sign of respect.

And this is where relationships sometimes go wrong.

We may be loved, yet still feel unloved.

The idea of love languages, popularised by Gary Chapman, suggests that people tend to give and receive love in different ways. The five commonly described are words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service, gifts, and physical touch.

But I think there is something important missing from the way we usually talk about them.

Love languages are not rigid boxes. They are clues.

Words of Affirmation

Some people need to hear appreciation.

“I am proud of you.”

“Thank you.”

“You look lovely.”

“I missed you.”

“I am here for you.”

These may seem like small sentences to the person saying them, but to someone who receives love through words, they can mean everything.

The opposite is also true. Constant criticism, sarcasm, humiliation or dismissive remarks can slowly erode a person’s sense of being valued.

The workaround is simple: say the good things that you normally assume the other person already knows.

We often think, Of course they know I love them.

Perhaps they don’t.

Quality Time

For some people, love means being present.

Not necessarily an expensive dinner or a holiday. Sometimes it is simply sitting together, drinking tea, watching a film, taking a walk, or talking without constantly looking at a phone.

Quality time is not merely physical proximity. Two people can sit in the same room for hours and still feel completely alone.

The workaround?

Create small islands of undivided attention.

Even fifteen minutes of genuine conversation can sometimes do more for a relationship than an entire day spent together without connection.

Acts of Service

Some people express love by doing.

They cook. They remember appointments. They fix things. They run errands. They make sure everyone has what they need.

Their way of saying “I love you” may be, Have you eaten?

But there is a danger here.

Acts of service can become invisible when they are repeated for years. What was once appreciated becomes an expectation.

And when the work is never acknowledged, resentment quietly takes its place.

The workaround is recognition.

A simple “I noticed what you did. Thank you” can prevent a great deal of emotional wear and tear.
And equally important: don’t confuse helping someone with controlling them.

Love should lighten another person’s life, not make them feel indebted.

Gifts

For some, receiving a thoughtful gift is deeply meaningful.

It isn’t necessarily about money.

It may be a book someone remembered you wanted, a flower picked on the way home, a favourite sweet, or even a photograph kept because it reminded someone of you.

The meaning is in the thought.

But gifts become meaningless when they are used to compensate for neglect, disrespect or emotional absence.

A diamond cannot repair what an apology and changed behaviour could.

The workaround is to make gifts personal rather than expensive.

Ask yourself, What would make this person feel remembered?

That is where the real gift lies.

Physical Touch

For some people, affection is communicated through touch.

A hug.

A hand held while walking.

A kiss on the forehead.

A reassuring touch on the shoulder.

Physical affection can communicate something words sometimes cannot: You are safe with me. You matter to me. I am here.
But physical touch has to be mutual and respectful. Nobody owes another person physical affection simply because they are in a relationship.

The workaround is communication.

Ask.

“Can I hug you?”

“Would you like me to sit beside you?”

Sometimes the smallest question creates the greatest sense of safety.

The Real Problem: We Often Give Love the Way We Want to Receive It

This, perhaps, is where many relationships stumble.

A person who values acts of service may spend the whole day doing things for their partner and wonder why the partner still complains.

The partner may be thinking, I don’t need you to do things for me. I need you to talk to me.

One gives.

The other waits.

Both feel they are trying.

Both feel unappreciated.

Neither understands what the other is asking for.

It is almost as if they are speaking two different languages.

So What Can We Do?

Perhaps the answer is not to find one perfect love language.

Perhaps the answer is to become bilingual in love.

Learn what makes the other person feel valued, even if it isn’t the way you naturally express affection.

And tell them what makes you feel valued.
Don’t expect people to read minds.

Instead of saying:

“You don’t care about me.”

Try:

“I feel much closer to you when we spend some uninterrupted time together.”

Instead of:

“You never appreciate anything I do.”

Try:

“When you acknowledge what I do, it makes me feel valued.”

Instead of:

“You never touch me.”

Try:

“I miss physical affection. A hug sometimes would mean a lot to me.”

These changes may sound insignificant, but they remove accusation from the conversation and replace it with information.

And What If the Other Person Doesn’t Change?

This is where love languages have their limits.

Knowing someone’s love language does not mean we can make them loving.

Understanding someone does not require us to tolerate disrespect.

Communication cannot repair a relationship if only one person is willing to communicate.

Sometimes the workaround is not changing the other person.

Sometimes it is changing what we expect from them.

We can stop waiting for a particular kind of love from someone who has repeatedly shown that they cannot or will not give it.
That doesn’t mean becoming bitter.

It means becoming realistic.

We can appreciate what someone is capable of giving without pretending that it is everything we need.

And sometimes we need to find emotional nourishment elsewhere — through friendships, children, siblings, community, meaningful work, hobbies, books, music, nature, spirituality, or simply through developing a kinder relationship with ourselves.

Because no single relationship should be expected to provide every form of emotional fulfilment.

Perhaps There Is a Sixth Love Language

I sometimes think there should be a sixth love language:

Respect.

Because without respect, the other five can become hollow.

You can give someone gifts and still belittle them.

You can perform acts of service and still control them.

You can spend hours together and still make them feel lonely.

You can say “I love you” and still hurt them repeatedly.

Real love needs something underneath all the languages:

I see you.

I hear you.

I value you.

I will not deliberately make you feel small.

And perhaps another important language is repair.

We are all going to get things wrong. We will say the wrong words, forget important dates, lose patience and misunderstand each other.

Healthy elationships are not those without mistakes.

They are relationships where someone can say:

“I was wrong.”

“I hurt you.”

“I am sorry.”

“I will try to do better.”

And then actually do better.

Love Is Not Only About Being Loved

Perhaps the greatest lesson is that love is not merely about asking:

“Does this person love me?”

It is also asking:

“How does this person experience my love?”

And equally:

“How do I experience theirs?”

Sometimes the love is there, but it is hidden behind different languages.

Sometimes we need to translate.

Sometimes we need to teach each other.

Sometimes we need to compromise.

And sometimes, despite all our efforts, we discover that what we call love is not giving us the kindness, respect or emotional safety that we need.

That discovery can be painful.

But it can also be liberating.

Because understanding love languages should never be about teaching ourselves to accept crumbs simply because they are being offered in someone’s preferred language.

It should be about learning to give love more thoughtfully, receive it more consciously, communicate our needs more clearly, and recognise the difference between love that is imperfect and love that is consistently harmful.

After all, love is not a language we learn once.

It is a conversation we keep having throughout our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment