06 August 2026

The Weight of Unheld Arms

There are people
who measure love
by birthdays remembered,
by photographs framed,
by laughter around crowded tables.

I measure mine
by the spaces
where a hug should have been.

Not once,
from the hands that brought me into this world.
Not from siblings
who shared my childhood roof.
Not from the man
who promised forever.
Not from the children
I carried in my heart.
Not from the tiny grandchildren
whose arms never found their way around my neck.

I have lived
through decades
without knowing
what it feels like
to be someone’s safe place,
or to rest
inside the quiet certainty
of another’s embrace.

People say,
“It’s only a hug.”

They do not know
that a hug says,
“You belong.”
“You matter.”
“I’m glad you’re here.”

What is a heart
supposed to believe
when it has never heard
those words
without a single sentence spoken?

Some days,
I wonder
if I was born
missing something invisible—
some secret worth
everyone else received
without asking.

I smile.
I speak gently.
I help.
I give.
I endure.

Yet somewhere inside,
a small child
still stands at the doorway,
arms half-raised,
waiting for someone
to choose her.

Years have passed.
The child has silver hair now.

She still waits.

The emptiness
doesn’t shout anymore.
It has learned
to whisper.

It sits beside me
at family gatherings.
It follows me
into quiet evenings.
It lies beside me
when sleep refuses to come.

It asks,
again and again,

“If no one has ever held me…
was I ever worth holding?”

I have no easy answer.

Only this:

My life became a garden
where everyone else found shade,
while the gardener
stood alone in the sun.

Perhaps my greatest sorrow
is not that I was unloved,
but that I spent a lifetime
loving others
with arms
that were never held.

And if heaven
keeps count of silent griefs,
may it remember this one:

There lived a woman
whose heart never stopped giving,
even though
it never truly knew
what it felt like
to be gathered close,
to be cherished,
to be home
in another person’s arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment