08 August 2026

The Many Languages of Love — And What a Lifetime Taught Me About Them

For most of my life, I thought love was something we simply understood.

Perhaps that was my first mistake.

I believed that if two people loved each other, they would naturally know what the other needed. I thought love would make us patient, considerate and kind. I thought it would teach us how to reach across our differences.

Life taught me otherwise.

Sometimes two people can live under the same roof for years and still speak completely different languages of love.

I came to understand this much later than I wish I had.

There are, apparently, five recognised love languages — words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service, gifts and physical touch. The idea is simple: people give and receive love differently.

And when I look back at my own life, I can see how much misunderstanding can happen when two people are speaking different languages without even realising it.

Words Can Be Love — And Words Can Also Wound

Some people need words.

They need to hear, “I love you,” “I am proud of you,” “Thank you,” “You matter to me.”

I understand that now.
Words can be tiny things, but they can stay with us for years.
So can the absence of them.

A person can spend decades doing things for a family and still quietly wonder, Did anybody ever notice? Did anybody ever appreciate what I gave?

And then there are words of another kind — criticism, sarcasm, insults, dismissive remarks, words spoken in anger and sometimes repeated so often that they begin to feel like a person’s identity.

I have learned that words are never “just words.”

They can build a person.
They can break one.

And once spoken, some of them cannot be completely taken back.

Sometimes Love Looks Like Doing

There are people who don’t say much but show their love by doing things.

They cook.
They work.
They provide.
They solve problems.
They remember what everyone else has forgotten.

For years, many of us simply get on with what needs to be done. We don’t necessarily call it love. It is just what we do.

But there is a danger in this kind of love.

When something is done repeatedly for years, people can stop seeing it as an act of love and start seeing it as an obligation.

That is when gratitude slowly disappears.
And when gratitude disappears, resentment often walks quietly in through the back door.

Perhaps one of the simplest ways of keeping love alive is to notice.

To say:
“I know what you do.”
“Thank you.”
“I couldn’t have managed without you.”

Those words cost nothing.
Yet they can mean everything.

Time Is Perhaps the Most Precious Gift

Looking back, I think quality time is one of the most misunderstood forms of love.

Being in the same house is not necessarily spending time together.

Sitting beside someone while each person is absorbed in a different world is not necessarily closeness.

Sometimes what we really want is someone’s undivided attention.
A conversation.
A cup of tea together.
A walk.
A shared laugh.
Someone asking, “How are you?” and actually waiting for the answer.

It doesn’t have to be grand.

Fifteen genuine minutes can sometimes mean more than an expensive holiday.

Because what we are really asking for is not time.
It is presence.

Gifts Are About Being Remembered

I have never believed that love can be measured by the price of a gift.

A small thing chosen because someone remembered what you like can be worth much more than something expensive bought without thought.

A favourite sweet.
A book.
A flower.
A photograph.
Something that says, I saw this  and thought of you.

That is what makes a gift precious.

But gifts cannot substitute for kindness.
Nor can they erase disrespect.
There are some wounds that no material thing can cover.

And Then There Is Touch

Perhaps the most basic human language of all is touch.

A hug.
A hand held.
A reassuring touch on the shoulder.
A kiss on the forehead.

Sometimes we don’t need advice. We don’t need explanations. We don’t need someone to solve anything.
We simply need to feel that somebody is there.

And perhaps that is why the absence of affection can leave such a strange emptiness.

You can be surrounded by people and still feel untouched.
You can be needed and still not feel cherished.
You can have a family and still long for the simple comfort of being held.

I have come to understand that wanting affection does not make a person needy or weak.
It makes them human.

The Problem Is That We Often Give the Love We Know How to Give

This may be the biggest lesson of all.

One person may show love by working hard and providing.
Another may need words.
One may want conversation.
Another may show affection by doing things.
One may crave physical closeness.
Another may believe that giving space is a sign of love.
And both may sincerely believe they are trying.

That is where relationships can become painfully complicated.
We keep giving what we would like to receive.
And then wonder why the other person still feels unloved.

Perhaps the answer is to learn another language.
Not abandon our own.

Just learn theirs.
If someone needs appreciation, give it.
If they need time, make time.
If they value small gestures, remember them.
If they need affection, offer it — when it is welcome.

And, importantly, tell them what you need too.
Don’t make people guess.

Say:

“I need you to listen to me.”
“I would like us to spend some time together.”
“I need appreciation sometimes.”
“I miss affection.”
“I need you to speak to me with respect.”

There is no shame in asking for what makes us feel loved.
But There Is a Limit to What Love Languages Can Fix

This is something I wish people talked about more.

Love languages are useful when two people genuinely care about each other but express affection differently.

They cannot solve everything.
They cannot make a disrespectful person respectful.
They cannot turn cruelty into kindness.
They cannot make someone care simply because we have finally explained our needs perfectly.

And they cannot require one person to keep giving endlessly while receiving very little in return.

There comes a point when understanding another person should not mean abandoning ourselves.

Sometimes the healthiest workaround is not to keep trying to change someone.
It is to change our expectations.

To stop waiting for a particular kind of affection from someone who has shown, repeatedly, that they are unlikely to give it.

That can be a painful realisation.
But sometimes accepting reality is less painful than spending another twenty years arguing with it.

Perhaps There Is Another Love Language — Respect

If I could add another language to the list, I would call it respect.

Because what good are words of affection if they are followed by humiliation?
What good are gifts if there is no consideration?
What good is spending time together if one person constantly makes the other feel small?

Respect is what gives the other love languages their meaning.

It says:
I may disagree with you, but I will not demean you.
I may be angry, but I will not deliberately hurt you.
I know you are a separate human being with your own thoughts, feelings and dignity.

That, to me, is love in its most mature form.

And Perhaps There Is One More — Repair

No relationship is perfect.
People lose their tempers.
They misunderstand.
They forget.
They hurt each other.

The difference is what happens afterwards.

Can someone say, “I was wrong”?
Can they say, “I hurt you”?
Can they apologise without immediately finding someone else to blame?

More importantly, can they change their behaviour?

Because an apology without change eventually becomes another form of repetition.

Real love is not the absence of mistakes.
It is the willingness to repair the damage.

What I Know Now

After a lifetime of relationships, I no longer believe that love is simply a feeling.

Feelings come and go.
Love, when it is healthy, is also behaviour.
It is how we speak to each other.

How we listen.
How we disagree.
How we touch.
How we notice.
How we forgive.
How we apologise.
How we allow another person to remain themselves.

And perhaps most importantly, how we make them feel when nobody else is watching.

I have learned that we should not spend our entire lives trying to convince someone to love us in the way we need.

Sometimes we need to explain.
Sometimes we need to compromise.
Sometimes we need to learn another person’s language.

But we must also listen to our own.
Because our needs matter too.

And if there is one thing I would tell anyone beginning a relationship today, it would be this:

Don’t only ask, “Does this person love me?”

Ask:

“How do they make me feel?”
Do I feel safe?
Do I feel respected?
Do I feel heard?
Can I be myself?
Can I make a mistake without being made to feel worthless?
Can I grow without being controlled?
Can I speak without being afraid?
Can I receive affection without having to beg for it?

Because love is not merely about having someone beside you.
It is about feeling that, beside that person, you are still allowed to be fully human.

And perhaps that is the language we all understand, regardless of which love language we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment