27 September 2011

Poem: If I Had My Child to Raise Over Again


Poem: If I Had My Child to Raise Over Again
a wonderfully insightful poem by Diane Loomans
http://www.flickspire.com/m/iaaw/RaiseAgain#.ToB6hACBzyd.gmail
my sentiments to a T, wonder if & when any of us with the same desire will ever be given such a chance.


If I had my child to raise all over again,
 I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
 I'd finger paint more, and point the finger less.
 I would do less correcting and more connecting.
 I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
 I would care to know less and know to care more.
 I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
 I'd stop playing seriously and seriously play.
 I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
 I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
 I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often.
 I would be firm less often and affirm much more.
 I'd model less about the love of power And more about the power of love.
--sent to me by my daughter, who is a mother herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment